So we’re still hung up on a name for our kid. I think we’ve got a vague list of hopefuls we can take with us to the hospital, but just in case we come up with something on the fly, I’m assembling a rigorous testing process before we declare our choice to the Law.
1. When you combine it with our last name, does it sound dirty? It’s so much easier to do than you think.
2. Do the initials spell something stupid?
3. Is it too trendy? As Freakonomics taught us, it can look trashy on the way down.
4. Is it going to be trendy in a few years?
5. Does it sound right in real life?
6. Google. Are there any serial killers with that name?
7. If you were going in for heart surgery, and this was your doctor’s name, would you feel less confident?
8. Is there an obvious awful name kids could turn it into? (Always remembering, kids don’t need specific inspiration to insult each other.)
Anything I’m missing?